Sunday, December 20, 2009

What is the recommended pH for a spray-wash solution to avoid rust while cleaning gray iron castings?

Spra washers are used in industry to wash and clean the gray iron castings. But if pH is not controlled properly, this causes rusting of machined surfaces, which are not primered by the supplier. Spray solutions are usally some solvents dissolved in water.What is the recommended pH for a spray-wash solution to avoid rust while cleaning gray iron castings?
How does Evapo-Rust work?


Unlike other rust removers that use some type of acid to remove rust, Evapo-Rust works without acid. It will not attack the base metal, and it is safe to use.





To confirm these benefits, I put the product to the test.





First, I confirmed that this product was not an acid. I tested the product and confirmed that the pH level was between 6 and 7. A pH reading of 7 is the same as pure water. A pH reading of 1 is a strong acid, while a pH reading of 14 would be a strong alkaline. To put this scale into perspective, rain water generally is around 5.6 and Coca Cola is roughly 3 to 4.





Second, I wanted to confirm that Evapo-Rust didn't remove the base metal. Since I already tested the pH, I was not expecting to find any evidence of metal removal, but I needed to confirm this before I asked anyone to put their valuable tools into the solution. After soaking a few tools overnight, I didn't notice any wear of the metal due to the solution. I even tested a tool by soaking it for three days in the solution. It came out rust-free with no signs of any damage.





Lastly, I wanted to see if the product removed rust as stated. I'm happy to report that Evapo-Rust removes rust very effectively. I have yet to wear out the effectiveness of my first gallon!


************************


*************


********


*****


****


****


****


***


***


***


***


**


**


**


**


*


*


*


*














.

No comments:

Post a Comment